Thursday, July 13, 2006

Project: New Attic Insulation

I think I mentioned that I have squirrels in my attic (figuratively and literally), so I got a quote for the spray-foam insulation - it will be around $2000 - but we have to remove the existing blown-in fiber stuff ourselves and there are no guarantees that squirrels won't eat the sprayed stuff, so really need to catch and relocate the existing squirrels ASAP (they don't seem to be triggering the trap...they are getting their fill of peanut butter, so eventually they should be fat enough to either trigger the trap or get stuck in the hole they chewed in the roof...). Next step is to get an estimate of the cost to fix the vapour barrier and put in new regular pink insulation. If the two are close enough, I might go with the spray. The only hesitation that I have is that it will be difficult to do any wiring after the spray is done (for the Jacuzzi tub that is going in the ensuite and the ventilation fans that need to be installed in the bathrooms), but I can work through it. Stay tuned for more updates!

No comments: