Friday, July 14, 2006

Chronic Sinusitis - or "my throat thing"

When will I learn...? For years I had what I called "my throat thing", lots of coughing, hacking, horking, and all those other fun things eventually leading up to laryngitis or strep throat and the need for antibiotics. Eventually I got fed-up and sifted through the internet to find that "chronic sinusitis" seemed to match my symptoms, and a personal blog from another sufferer pointed to dairy as an aggravator. I switched to 1 milk in my coffee instead of 2 cream, and stopped having pizza (especially with extra cheese) and noticed an immediate improvement. An additional point I have learned from experience since then is hydration, I need to drink more water than I usually do to keep things flowing (yuck, I hate thinking about it...). If I do these relatively simple things, my sinuses are usually good to me - and I was introduced to the joys of Drixoral for those times that I feel something coming on (amazing stuff, but don't overuse or it makes symptoms worse).

Well yesterday I drank nothing but coffee, as usual (ie. a diuretic that reduces hydration), then I met Brent for fud and beers (alcohol also being a diuretic) where I had nachos (with cheese and sour cream) and ended with another coffee (2 milk) - and by the time I got home I could hardly breathe! The nachos were good, and the Guinness was also very good (and by the way, Guinness also seems to aggravate the sinuses - though what it has in common with dairy products I don't know...), but I really need to think of my health... Nah, that's old-person talk... Vive les Nachos! Vive les Donair! Vive les Biscuit Avec les Chips Chocolat dans les Verre du Lait! (sorry for making such a mess of you language Claude - no offence...).

I really need to start working now...

No comments: