Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Insurance

Why does everything associated with a car have to be such a blatant rip-off? I don't care how good of a deal I think I'm getting when I buy a car, I always find myself walking funny cuz I just have this feeling like I got screwed... And then I go to buy gas, nuf said. I LOVE those little stickers on the gas pumps that "explain" the gas prices - sorry, but the only piece of the little pie chart that has drivers that vary hourly is the "Profits" piece... Taxes don't go up and down depending on the proximity of the weekend whether there is a stat holiday nearby, and I don't believe that the cost of the crude and refining changes from my drive in to work in the morning and my drive home that night... But the profits, oh yah, that little piece of pie actually does explain a whole lot.

But what I really wanted to talk about is insurance. No matter how you look at it, insurance is a scam, but we all feel that "better safe than sorry" is a good mantra - including myself. But when the Post Office changes my postal code, and my car insurance goes up $700 a year because I am now zoned in a higher risk area (note that the post code changed, my house did not magically change locations), it just drives the point home. A letter to the Insurance Bureau of Canada seems to indicate that this isn't allowed... I think we might invest some time in this... Class-action suit maybe? Probably not, but fun to think about.

No comments: