Monday, July 10, 2006

FIFA...FOFUM...sounds like a poodle on steroids...

Well, I'm not really into sports - and even less into soccer, but Joe has been filling me in on some of the details. Apparently it is quite exciting to watch a game go for over an hour with no score, then watch up to 2 more 15 minute overtime sessions go with no score, and then watch the whole thing come down to "penalty kicks" or a shoot-out. This seems to happen regularly, so I say start with the shoot-out kick-off (or a rousing game of "rock-paper-scissors" by the team captains) until someone gets ahead, then play the game. If there is a tie at the end of regular play, then the team that won the pre-game kick-off wins. You can be sure that one of the teams would be very focused on getting a goal if they start the game at a disadvantage!

During the last game of the FIFA World Cup I had trouble deciding who to cheer for... I've been to Rome and I loved it, so I have an attachment to Italy, but I grew up in Quebec and also have an appreciation of French culture. Growing up, Les Canadiennes were always the hockey team supported in our house and by all our friends and neighbours - the transition to the Maple Leafs with my move to Ontario has been tough... Same situation with the Expos vs. the Jays - I still support the Expos.

All of that said, it is a tough call because I have some baggage from growing up English in Quebec in the 1970's. I have heard lots of discussion about Quebec separatism and the opinion that French culture is/was under attack, however I feel strongly that if you want to see a language and culture under attack, trying being an Anglophone in rural Quebec - especially in the 1970's. I love Quebec - the language, the culture, the people, the history - but I hate the politics.

In the end I think my loyalties would have been with France had I watched the final game or been more involved in the whole FIFA experience, but hesitantly...

There, a blog posting about the FIFA World Cup that has almost nothing to do with soccer...
;)

No comments: