Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Movie Review: I, Robot
[liked it, recommend]

Good flick with a well used premise - robots "evolve" to the point of (almost) taking over the world. We've seen this in several flicks including the blockbusters "The Terminator" series and "The Matrix" series but I like the spin put on this story.

One very small point I have been thinking about since watching the movie is the demolition scene - the big destructo-bot rips apart a house - a house that is still fully furnished and in move-in condition. The environmentalist in me cringed a little bit as I watched the wood paneling and hardwood floors get trashed, let alone all of the fixtures and electronics. Got me thinking that a better approach would be to have a small army of mini-bots that dismantle the building bit-by-bit allowing the reuse and recycling of the various components.

I've also been thinking about how these types of movies are starting to fit together as the writers work within the various future time-frames. I can easily see a flow from "The Terminator" series, to "Minority Report" to "I, Robot", on to "AI", followed by "The Matrix" series. In each story the advances in robotics and artificial intelligence grow beyond our ability to maintain a workable relationship with the machines. Though I place "The Matrix" at the end of the sequence, I believe that there is still room for an interesting story located before the end of "AI" but after "The Matrix" - basically something along the lines of the machines become the dominant "species" and humans live as a subordinate class. How would this look? I can't see the machines using humans as slaves since we would not be able to do most things that specialized machines could not do better. Not sure how things would play out. I can picture the humans taking on a mode of communication that is mostly poetry and art - where the mental images and feelings conjured by the art are the real message, a message that the machines would not be able to understand...

Wow, that was a long way to go for a movie idea...
Online review.

No comments: