Saturday, August 26, 2006

Power System Update

Just re-bought the backup power system I got during the last power outage and then returned (reference blote). My intention was to buy the inverter and batteries and battery charger separately and build my own system, but given that this box includes all of the above (without the option to expand the number of batteries) for $300 (on sale) and the regular price for just the inverter alone is $300, plus the batteries, plus the charger - I couldn't pass it up. For power related stuff all I need now is a generator that runs for more than 2 hours. I have been looking on the Coleman web site to try and see if a bigger gas tank can be put on the generator I have, but I can't find anything - I'm still hoping there is a way to put on a bigger tank, but at this point I'm betting not. So I'm looking at another generator at Home Hardware that also has an oil level sensor and a fuel gauge, so I think it is the right way to go - just need to wait for it to go on sale (currently $900). I finished charging the backup power box and put it in the TV room to power all the AV stuff during the little outages we have all the time. I'll run an extension cord to the fridge and well pump for easy switch over in an extended outage, and then run a feed cord to where-ever I decide to put the generator - then I'll be done with my backup power "system".

No comments: