Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Looking for a cookbook

I've had a thought for a cookbook, and I'm hoping that it exists and one of the many, many, ... many readers of this blog can point me to a good one. The cookbook I want would have an index of ingredients and then recipes that a) feature that ingredient or b) just use that ingredient. The reasoning for this relates to my relish entry below - when I have a bunch of something, or want to get rid of something in the fridge, or use something provided from a well-intending friend, I want some ideas for how to use those food items to create something good and interesting.
Some examples:
- my garden is producing lots of cucumbers, what can I make with them? (besides relish)
- I am starting to finally get some tomatoes from the garden, all I can think of is spaghetti sauce, chili, and sliced with hamburgers
- that can of "pineapple tidbits" that has been in the fridge for way too long...
- the package of shredded coconut in the cupboard
- onions, got a bunch in the fridge "crisper" (talk about false advertising, nothing has ever come out of there "crisp"...)
- shrimp in the freezer, something besides cocktail or mixed in spaghetti sauce or a stir fry...
- a box of Cheerios that I bought by mistake (Sharon only likes the Honey Nut kind - I'll eat almost anything in a pinch, but haven't been in a pinch recently)...

Get the picture? Any suggestions? I guess I could use the internet to search for recipes, but at the risk of starting another rant, I only have access to dialup service where I live - nuf said...

No comments: