Tuesday, October 03, 2006

PVR Intelligence Suggestions

I do like my PVR and the online program guide, there is some good stuff out there, but typically the good shows are buried in a pile of crap. There needs to be some AI built into the on-screen guide, such as:
  • option to sort channels by number of hours watched on that channel with most popular channels appearing at the top, mixed with any new or free preview channels. Need to include an option to easily mark a channel as "don't like"
  • tracking of specific show episodes played and the option to mark a show as seen or don't like
  • tied to above, option to search and record (automatically) show episodes that I haven't seen. Example: punch in Battlestar Galactica, and it records every time the show is on unless a) it already has that episode in memory (including quality check for satellite outages), b) I have tagged that episode as seen, c) or has a log that the episode has been seen in the past. At the start it would catch a lot of the older shows that I have seen, but these could be quickly marked as seen and deleted from memory, and then they won't get recorded again - also allows me to catch old episodes that I might have missed.
  • option to identify a show series that I don't like - and being able to differentiate somehow - specifically for things like the various versions of Star Trek and Battlestar - I only want to see the new episodes of Battlestar, not the ones from the '70's, and only selected Star Trek spin-offs, not the old
I really should just ditch the TV - and internet access is suspect too... I'd likely be better off cutting the Cable and just buying / renting DVDs when I want to watch something.

No comments: