Saturday, October 07, 2006

Barbados - First Day Off for Sharon

Met and talked to Rose yesterday. Nice lady from the Kitchener area. She moved to Barbados about 10 years ago. Now she runs a convenience store located between the Amerylis and Savannah hotels, but on the other side of the road. I definitely recommend Rose's place for your snacking needs - example: a coke from the Hilton is BD$7, from the convenience store in the Hilton is BD$3, and B$1.75 from Rose. I'm sure you can get it even cheaper from the street vendors I have seen, but they aren't always around, and Rose is always at the same place, 7am to 7pm.

I had a "farmer's tan" - well burn actually, from wearing my t-shirt all the first and second day, so left my shirt off for most of yesterday - so now I have a nice all-over burn. I've been feeding the tingly parts of my burnt shin moisturizer in the hopes that it will stay on long enough to shift to a nice brown tan before the inevitable pealing begins. My forearms aren't bad since they are accustomed to the sun, however my shoulders, chest, and (ample) belly are the most tender, not having seen the sun for a while. I also got my haircut just before departure so my hairline is also a little tender.

Last night we had the seafood buffet at the Lighthouse Terrace at the Hilton - neither of us cared for it. Since the hotel isn't really near anything, and since the heat zaps your energy, and since Sharon has been working long hours and fighting traffic to and from the office each day - neither of us has had much energy to troop through the streets to find somewhere else to eat. Sharon is not working today so maybe we will find a place together.

No comments: