Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Barbados - On My Way !!

Sharon has been sent to Barbados for business, left early Sunday morning, so I have decided to take a few days vacation and join her for the long Thanksgiving weekend.
I used my Aeroplan points for the ticket, cost me 55,000 points plus I had to pay ~$140 in fees and taxes, so almost free but not quite. I wanted business class because its a long flight, but the web site didn't give me the option. Turned out okay though, I had an empty seat beside me and the seat spacing was actually reasonable!

Mom and Dad are going to look after the boys (thank you very, very much!) - I think Dad is going to stay at the house each night and call the dog-walker (Tracy, from Noah's Ark Pet Care - great people) if he needs to go out during the day - really appreciate this everyone!

Sharon has a limo guy that she uses occasionally for work stuff, Ahmed, so I put the call into him for a 6am pickup. As usual, I was running late - not because I slept in, but because I had left too many little things to do for the morning. It started to thundershower just when Ahmed arrived (about 10-15 minutes early) and the boys wanted nothing to do with going out in the rain... If you could have seen the look on Gizzy's face! I had gotten them all excited about going outside and then threw open the door - and out they ran... Once those big rain drops started hitting Gizzy, he stopped dead in his tracks and gave me the look - the "you bastard" look. Anyway, the boys wouldn't do anything but look at me with squinting-in-the-rain looks on their faces, so I hope there weren't any accidents when Dad arrived.

The drive to the airport was slow because of the rain and then there was a dead traffic light on Hwy 50 - thank you Ahmed for getting me around this - I would have been late for my flight if I was driving.

I made a HUGE mistake at the airport by having some breakfast. What was I thinking?! A sausage "mcmuffin" type sandwich with spicy sausage, greasy hasbrowms and strong coffee - ACK! I was in gastric distress for the ENTIRE flight - 5 hours of rumbling and grumbling and extreme discomfort - my own fault, I know better - coffee and greasy food is never a good idea, and spicy sausage should be reserved for outdoor, breezy location (not a confined metal tube with lots of other people packed in all around you).

And now I am here... Beautiful. I'm staying at the Bridgetown Hilton. The sand is soft and plentiful, the water is turquoise, clear, and warm, and the weather is hot and humid - a perfect holiday situation! Since the room is paid by Sharon's trip, and my flight was just points, I am trying hard not to care that the food is so expensive. The people are great and the place is beautiful. I have been on my own since I got here because Sharon has been working late, but the staff are friendly and helpful so far I am loving this trip. Pic from our room =>

No comments: