Saturday, September 09, 2006

Oops, just gave myself an unexpected hair "perm" and eyebrow makeover...

I was having another little fire in the backyard (almost rid of the scrap wood) when I brought down 2 big logs from the back fence. This is the main stuff I want to get rid of since it is full of carpenter ants - which I don't want finding my house or wood fence at the front. I had a good fire going from using up the last of the rotten hardwood from my wood pile - nice and hot, so I picked up the biggest log with the most ants, and got ready to add it to the fire. Of course the log was slightly longer than the fire was wide, so it had to be positioned just right to avoid having it roll out of the fire pit, so I took my time and "gently" lowered it into the fire where I thought it should go. Of course I dropped it at the last second, which created a burst of heat and flame right up the from of me, and I heard that familiar crackling sound of burning hair, followed by the familiar smell of burning hair. Okay, so maybe these things aren't so familiar to most people, but anyone who know me, knows that I would be familiar with these things... Being outside with no mirror, I just brushed myself a bit to get the majority of the burnt stuff off and continued with my work - smiling at the comments I was sure to get from Joe if the damage was significant. I finished what I was doing and went into the house to assess the situation... definitely have shorter and curly bangs, but not too bad - any remnants of a cybrow are gone, actually, my eyebrows are now nicely "thinned" - and for a finishing touch, my eyelashes are nicely frosted at the tips. Luckily I shaved this morning or I would have looked like Mr. Velcro-face, or my head might have caught fire - one or the other. I have learned from various similar experiences to immediately hold my breath as almost a reflex reaction to "danger" when around fire, so my nose hairs were spared (unfortunately). Though this could have saved me the trouble of trimming or plucking (which is always so much fun), as I mentioned, I have experience with these types of situations (in particular there was the time that I learned that shaving cream from a can is nothing like the foam that firefighters use to put out fires...) and know that having burnt hair inside your nose is not pleasant cuz you can't really get away from the smell. All in all, a good day!

No comments: