Saturday, November 11, 2006

World War 1 Survivors

Its Remembrance Day and once again I thank God that I have lived in a time and place that has not required me to be involved in a war. I am a fairly introspective guy, and when I watch some of these war movies (Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, etc.), I can almost imagine being there and realize that I would not come back a person that I would want to be - if I came back at all... So I give thanks at least every November 11th for the life I have been allowed to make for myself.

One of the stories I heard on the radio today stated that there are only 3 Canadians still alive who served in WW1, one of them is 105 and the other 2 are 106. The nature of the story was asking if the last survivor should be given a "State Funeral" when he passes... In my opinion, discussing this publicly in the first place is bad form, however if it is being discussed, I don't think we should make it a race to see who can live the longest and get the big funeral - I say that we owe all 3 of our oldest veterans more than we can ever repay, and that all three of them should be given the full deal when they pass. I am not a supporter of war in general, however the people who are doing or did the fighting so that I can have the life I lead have nothing but my respect.

No comments: