Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Jury Duty - Day 2

Just overheard that last night they selected 5 of the 14 jurors required (12 plus 2 alternates). I hope it takes just long enough so I don't have to go to work today, but not get selected. Or maybe get selected? Not sure what I would prefer... I quess whatever happens, happens...

Nope, didn't get selected - didn't even get to go through the challenge process with the lawyers. I just got out of the session mid-afternoon. Basically I've spent 2 days sitting and reading...sort of like being on vacation, but with no wavy salt water, no sun, no umbrella-drinks, no sand, no funky beach clothes, no interesting restaurants, ...you get the idea... It was a little exciting during the actual calling of the names - sort of like playing Bingo... "From panel 80 [exhale, not my panel], juror number xxxx, .... From panel 88 [gasp! my panel], juror number [holding my breath] xxxx [whew, not me], ..." and so on... At the end of yesterday there were about 140 of us left, about 100 from panel 80 and about 40 from panel 88 (my panel). Finished the session with the selection of a reserve panel of 20 people in case something happens between now and when the trial starts. If nothing happens to any of the selected jurors, these 20 people don't have to do anything, but if any of the 14 (12 plus 2 stand-by) can't attend at the start of the trial, they will replace with people from the 20 at the beginning of the trial. In any event I am free and clear for a couple of years. It was interesting to witness the process.

No comments: