Sunday, May 27, 2007

Symantec / Norton

I remember back in the day when Norton Utilities was the best thing since the expansion card slot - Disk Doctor, SpeedDisk, etc. In recent times I have been using some of the newer Norton products from Symantec - mostly the antivirus and security stuff, but also tried PCAnywhere - and I have to say that I'm really disappointed. Not only is the software a memory and resource hog, but removing it from your computer is like trying to get gum out of your hair... I finally spent the time to surf some webforums to find instructions for removing this software from my computer (and yes, it involved manual editing of the registry - never a good thing...). At least it didn't kill my computer completely, apparently like a recent update did in China!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you should try Sympatico's AV/FW service. Much better than norton!